Friday, July 13, 2012

Pleasing Mom & The Little Miss Both



Pleasing Mom & The Little Miss Both

A recent job hit so close to home for me.  A  Mom hires me to help update her darling daughter's bedroom.  My first thought:  This could be deadly.  Can I possibly please a mom and a feisty pre-teen?




I am pleased to say that all of my fears were washed away upon my first visit with this fabulous duo. I entered a home full of great style.  It was full of just the right mix of  family antiques, peppered with tasteful accessories.  This home had it all -- and the brave Lady of the Manor was not afraid to layer it in.  She had successful filled every corner with what she loved.  It was infectious!   I know that her visitors must feel compelled to stop and enjoy it.  So there I am asking myself,  just what am I doing here? 

Without showing my fear, I followed Mom and the Little Miss up the staircase to assess the room I had been called about.  It was a typical  child's room:  Pink walls and white furniture.  I immediately notice that this room has been accessorized by an artistic little soul.  The shelves were filled with her own estate sale purchases... her beloved collection of dog figurines, her favorite books.   She had been allowed to adorn her walls was with her own artwork and crazy posters.  Love it!  The light bulb came on for me then.  This delightful 11-year-old, so full of her own decor ideas, is now ready for a more grownup room.   Mom wants the room to be in keeping with the rest of this beautifully decorated home but wants this young artist's personality to still shine.   Kudos, Mom.  

Things we did to update this child's room that did not comprise Mother or Daughter priorities:

We kept the pale pink walls and painted some random stripes on two of the walls using scarlet-red, mango (the orange color that the young artist  really-really wanted) and a brighter poppy pink.  We traced around some plates on the third wall to create random polka dots out of our color trio.   For the biggest splash, we painted the fourth wall behind her bed scarlet.  The scarlet space behind the bed was filled with a collection of 7X14 canine paintings  without frames.  This allowed us to paint faux frames around them. ( How fun was that!)  We removed an ordinary bookshelf and replaced it with a collection of small wall sconces.  Some of which we blinged  with trims and stones, some we left antique and unique.  Overall, it made a fabulous art installation to showcase those dog figurines.

We replaced a cheesy pink kiddy chair with a more grownup club chair, covered with a fun mix of black and white fabrics.   We used black and white bedding with a few blinged-up pillows in our fun new color scheme.  We then added a pair of black and white silk taffeta window panels with fun trim.  The new overall combination gave this room a more grownup look without cheating the room of a fun, youthful arts vibe.  Last but not least, so not to give up the ceiling fan, we replaced one bedside lamp with a small vintage chandelier, dripping with bling.  Every girl wants a chandelier, no matter what age!

This was a fabulous job for me!  Thanks to another brave mom.

As I said, this project hit so close to home for me.  I often answer the question How did you get into this business  by saying my Mom.  She always allowed me to express myself.  I painted murals on my walls, splatter-painted bed spreads.  Once I even tie-dyed my curtains.  (What a mess!)  My mom had great style.   We always had a beautiful home that others often commented on.  I have often thought that I must have driven her crazy sometimes.   She simply laughs and says " You were the last of four, my baby, who entertained and expressed herself with paint and glitter.  If you weren't hurting anyone, what did it matter?  Things can always be painted over."  I am glad that it was my place in life to be the fourth child.  My dear mother's  patience is what I believe allowed me to find my way to a career in design.

No comments:

Post a Comment