Thursday, August 2, 2012

My Mother & Sister's Visit

My Mother & Sister's Visit
Some do it only for others, or just to entertain.  Some do not  get why they should do it at all -- and probably never will.  For those, I feel sad.  They do not know what they are missing.  What is this thing?  It is the ability to enjoy your own surroundings.  You can turn your home into your own original work of art by layering in all of your favorite things.  You can "paint it to life" with your favorite colors.  You can even showcase all of your loved collectibles and cherished heirlooms.  Now --- don't forget to enjoy it yourself!
When my own Mother and sister visit, there's one thing I can count on...
We will be having our morning coffee right smack-dab in the middle of my formal living room.  A room many might only use when real company comes calling.  But we like to pile up on my cut-velvet, down-filled fancy sofa.  We just squish in between all of the needlepoint pillows.  The attire is strictly PJ's.  We spend hours looking at home decor magazines, discussing any new little trinket that I may have added into one of the cubbyholes of my antique oriental secretary.  After all, isn't that what those little cubbyholes are for?
For just those few a.m. hours, that formal living room is enjoyed and filled with love.  When the morning ritual is over, we put everything back into is place and straighten up all of the pillows.   It is returned to its former formal setting.  Ever so often,when I am feeling blue due to missing them, I'll have my morning coffee solo, sitting in the middle of all those pillows -- It always makes me feel better! -- Point is, don't deprive yourself from any part of your fabulous home that you have created.
Use your china.  Use your family silver.  Okay, maybe it isn't something you want to do on a daily basis, but I promise your girlfriends would love to be treated to a summer lunch served with it.   Make yourself, and them, feel special for an hour or two.  Be brave -- use your things!  

2 comments:

  1. I love this, Cynthia. I feel exactly the same when my mom leaves to go home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cynthia, I loved reading this. I miss seeing you and Garland soooo much. Are you two doing ok? I am going to get to Tyler one of these days. Hope to see you soon, Lydia

    ReplyDelete